12.23.2008

pulling English ivy


This morning I removed a 10 x 10 meter area of English ivy. I ripped it out by hand, carefully clipping back the poison oak that was intertwined in some areas. I cut the runners going up two coast live oak trunks. Those will die back and not pose a problem again. I'll be monitoring this site every few months for a year, then once or twice a year after that.



As I removed the final runner I laid my hand on a branch that was hanging near. I was thinking in my head that I was healing the land, especially so that this particular tree could grow. The message I got though, was that the land was actually healing me.


The piled ivy will be left to die and rot. Meanwhile, the ravine once covered in ivy will recover with natives already on site.

No comments:

Post a Comment