12.20.2008

mapping vinca

I took the Etrex out in the field to map Vinca major - a major pain in my side.

Vinca covers acres of coast live oak understory here at the Reserve, choking out the natives that are lying in wait beneath. Mapping is such a great tool as I get ready to rid the Reserve of this weed. Yes, this is a daunting task that will take many years. You know what they say though; the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.

It was quiet and cold as I was out mapping. I came out from under the oak canopy; a kite was chirping behind me. I turned around squinting into the warm and blinding sun and for a single moment, I was transported into happiness.

I'll be visiting the Vinca site once a month from here on out. I have hope that the change will be tangible and worth the upcoming effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment