1.05.2010

Soil cores help determine plant palette


It looks so innocent and poetic unfurling from the soil. But it's hemlock. This seedling along with hundreds of other seedlings (mostly hemlock and radish) are popping up from several soil cores taken from a new "pocket" restoration site (more on pocket restoration sites later). I'm trying to determine if we have any natives left in the seed bank. I'll need to wait at least two seasons to account for dormancy. So far, the only natives to germinate are sky lupin.



Not surprising since this plant is regularly seen on disturbed sites, as this particular restoration site is.

The soil cores were taken from around the site, mixed together, then spread atop sterile seed germinating mix and placed in the greenhouse. If any particular native plant community expresses itself, I'll go in that direction when planning the revegetation. If not, I'll take cues from the nearest intact native reference site.

I realize this may not be the most riveting process in the world to read about. But the act of getting to know a site intimately is actually very engrossing. I find myself going to these trays every day to see what's come up.

1 comment:

  1. I think it IS fascinating. I like that you don't immediately look to reference sites, that you feel you have time to see what should be sprouting there before you chomp the bit off with the need to replant any native you can find. That's what I would do. Your way is much more therapeutic-sounding.

    ReplyDelete