12.15.2009

veldt grass

Pulling veldt grass (Ehrhara erecta) in the oak woodlands. With this weed, it's all about consistency. It's flowering now, some dropping seed. A very prolific seeder, it also reproduces by stolons.


After removing the plant, space is suddenly created for about a trillion seedlings. All of which I try to pull before they set seed the next year. Like I said, persistence and consistency. You can't turn your back on a weed like this. So my problem isn't so much the population in the woodland. It's the population along the roadside.


I've written about this weed and this problem before and I come back to it because it takes up my mental energy. I have to figure out a solution to this problem. Cut and mulch it to death? Shrubby barrier between road and woodland? Spray again?

No comments:

Post a Comment