11.24.2009

weed terminator

As I was pulling veldt grass (Ehrharta erecta) in the oak woodlands this afternoon, I thought of a great analogy for who I was and what I was doing. I am a weed terminator. I seek out my plant victim and kill it. I will not stop. I will find every last plant. I will persist and be consistent. Elkhorn Road runs right above this site and carries thousands of E. erecta plants and this is a problem I'll need to deal with creatively.

 Here is my veldt grass bouquet, just before I bagged it. It is flowering already. I came not a moment too soon.



The veldt grass is easy to spot right now since most other plants are just greening up and it's not too thick yet. The wide lime green leaves give it away. Thankfully I have an eye for detail.



While I was pulling, a group of Townsend's warblers (I think - amateur birder here) came through, snacking on insects? on the oaks.



And another oak was beginning to flower, barely unwrapping it's stamens.

1 comment:

  1. So you are the Terminator...and you are surrounded by voracious predators ruthlessly shredding insects...while the enemy forces are multiplying before your eyes and one of the good guys is trying to douse the whole area in sperm? It's a weird weird world. :)

    ReplyDelete