2.16.2010

pocket restoration sites

Tucked away around the Reserve are many "pocket" restoration sites.

These are small in size. The site pictured above is approximately 20x20 meters in total area. This particular example, located within an open coast live oak woodland, is managed mainly by a dedicated volunteer. One section is planted with natives, and another is managed so the existing creeping wild rye (Leymus triticoides) has room and light to grow.

These sites serve many purposes. They allow volunteers to feel successful on a site of manageable size. Often they are complimenting a larger management regime, for example mowing. They also serve as small field laboratories where I can have a high degree of control.

I find that these sites inform what I might do on a larger scale. It takes a lot of time and effort, but in the long run, these pocket restoration sites let me see; as if I am peeking through a keyhole, looking at a future restoration of the area.

1 comment: