9.02.2009

growing in the greenhouse



The grasses sown in the greenhouse a few weeks ago are taking off and growing well. I counted every one that had germinated. I needed to know if we were on target for the 3200. We're not quite there yet. But we will be. I'm determined.

Some species, grown for other restoration projects around the Reserve, completely tanked. None of the deerweed (Lotus scoparius) came up, despite the hot water treatment followed by a 12 hour soak. Worked last year. Hmmm. Tidy tips (Layia platyglossa); 3 plants from 294 seeds, give or take a seed. Last year we had so many we didn't know what to do.

Thankfully our ceanothus (Ceanothus cuneatus rigidus) is popping up despite our almost missing the seeds this year. And all our other plants we sowed are doing well. I suppose it's those few that don't do well that I think about more.

All in all it's a thriving, vibrant place, the greenhouse. I played Maria Callas for the seedlings today. Then some 70's Nigerian funk. It was also for the lonely lizard I named Azul.

No comments:

Post a Comment